Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Kitchen Sink Chowder

Easy Chowder

I always assumed chowder would be difficult. There is no denying how delicious it can be on a warm summer night in the backyard accompanied by garlic bread and a glass of cold pinot grigio. The first time I tried a recipe for chowder it was a corn and crab chowder recipe from Bon Apetite. It was fast and delicious. The (now numerous times) I have attempted to replicate it, I always find I am out of something. The other night I promised my hubby chowder, then started dinner at 6pm. The recipe called for bacon (we had none), yellow onion (we had red in the garden), red skinned potatoes (I found a handful of yellow), 2 1/4 cups of clam juice (I had a partial bottle in the fridge, maybe 6 ounces), crab (I found a little container of smoked clams in the cupboard, but no crab). About 30 minutes later dinner was on the table and it was delicious!

Chowder
Saute onions in olive oil and a tbsp butter, in a large pan (if using bacon, cook bacon first then set aside and saute onions in bacon grease)

Add cut up potatoes. Saute for a minute or so. 

Add clam juice up to 2 1/4 cups, I used vegetable stock to make up for what I didn't have. Bring to a boil and then lower to simmer until potatoes are soft. 

Add fish (crab or clams or whatever) and a small carton of heavy whipping cream (I did not say this was low fat!).
simmer for 5 minutes. Throw in some frozen veggies (either corn or peas or both, fresh spinach is also good). 
Serve with cold white wine and warm crispy bread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment